Samuel D. Outlaw was born in North Carolina; in 1920 he enrolled in a 4-year program in blacksmithing and wheelwrighting at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute. He graduated in 1925, and in 1927 built his industrial shop on Boundary Avenue, serving watermen, farmers, neighbors and friends from 1927 until 1991. The Museum, a rare intact Blacksmith Shop, includes a display of actual tools used by Mr. Outlaw. Tours and school groups are welcome by appointment - 757-656-3460.