Chartered in 1680, Onancock was established by the English House of Burgesses as a center of coastal commerce. It is a quiet harbor town on the banks of Onancock Creek, a mile-long tributary lined with gracious waterside estates. Make sure to get out on the water via kayak, boat, or catch the ferry to Tangier Island. Restaurants, shops, galleries, antique stores, a gourmet grocery store, and two museums are a short walk from the water. Don’t miss the hot fresh donuts at the Corner Bakery.